Full Time Positions
Join a team of dedicated professionals at a dynamic time in the immigration reform movement, as the Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR) expands its efforts to achieve stable immigration levels and enforceable immigration limits.
The State and Local Department at FAIR currently seeks a State and Local Counsel who will represent FAIR’s legislative and administrative interests before state legislatures, administrative and executive bodies, activists, advocacy groups, and the media.
Responsibilities of State and Local Counsel include analyzing and summarizing state and local legislation, ordinances, and initiatives; drafting policy briefs and grassroots alerts; engaging in direct and grassroots lobbying/activism; working with various FAIR departments to develop advocacy strategies; representing FAIR’s interests in issue-based coalitions; monitoring legislative committees and action; drafting reports, fact sheets, and testimony as needed; and otherwise obtaining legislative and political information and generally assisting the advocacy work of FAIR’s State and Local Department.Primary Job Duties:
- Monitor and analyze state and local legislation, ordinances, and policy changes.
- Draft legislative summaries and policy briefs for a variety of audiences.
- Work with other departments to identify, inform, and mobilize activists, members, and supporters on key pieces of legislation.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with legislators, legislative staff, advocacy groups and activists.
- Develop an expertise in immigration law, policy, and politics.
- Represent FAIR in coalitions, public meetings, hearings, press events, conferences, national forums, and in general communications with public officials, the media, FAIR members, the donor community, and the public.
- Assist FAIR’s departments with tasks relating to education, development, publications, and media coverage.
- Be a committed and effective advocate for all FAIR’s programs and objectives
- Juris Doctor Degree required. Must be barred in the District of Columbia (or must be willing and able to become D.C.-barred).
- Legislative experience preferred.
- Political judgment and sensitivity is a must.
- Strong writing and communication skills, including attention to detail.
- Unwavering commitment to professionalism in all aspects of one’s performance.
- Ability to conduct original research, analyze data, and produce work product in a consistent, efficient, and timely manner.
- Other relevant experience with public policy, education, grassroots organizing, communications, editing, and/or development.
- Ability to work effectively as part of FAIR’s legislative advocacy team.
The Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR) is a non-partisan, national nonprofit dedicated to achieving responsible immigration policies, which includes limiting overall legal immigration and humanely stopping illegal immigration.
Cover letter indicating familiarity with our mission, resume, and one writing sample are required for your application to be considered. Please submit the required documents with salary history and preference to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The position is located at FAIR's headquarters in Washington, D.C. It is a full-time, non-exempt position. FAIR offers generous benefits; salary is commensurate with experience. The Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. FAIR is a participant of E-verify. No agencies please.
Updated May 2017